Sunday, November 13, 2011

Can my landlord tell me I have to replace the whole carpet for one spot?

We have moved out of our flat, and there is nothing wrong with the place except for one spot on the carpet. A cooling down iron accidentally fell forward face down and imprinted a 5'x5' section that is fairly close to the wall. Its not discolored, its just an imprint. He is now trying to pull that we have to pay for carpeting in the whole two bedroom flat in order to keep it consistent. He says that the carpet is discontinued. I think it is about 2 or 3 year old carpet in there but I'm not sure. He estimates it will cost about 1400 dollars. This does not sound right that we would pay 1400 dollars for one minor spot in comparison to the whole place. Maybe we would pay for a fraction worth of the life expectancy for the carpet, but not the whole thing. Anyone have sources or opinions on this? I'm in California by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment